Wednesday, July 28, 2010

"Oh, you know. Just pondering the importance of families."

Interesting how revelations and ponderous thoughts that have nothing to do with what you’re studying come about. I was reading this morning in Alma (I’m getting closer and closer to the end). It’s the war chapters where it’s just one major war between the Nephites (followers of Christ) and the Lamanites (those who rebel against God). I’ve been reading battle after battle, then I stopped to think about what I read and my thoughts turned to home. Now, don’t misunderstand me. That doesn’t mean I’m trunky (homesick).



I reflected back on the past. All growing up, before my mission, I had adult figures (such as my parents and grandparents) that were always trying to teach me things. Whether they are life lessons or just simple skills that could one day be useful if I was to ever be in a fix. I went back in time to instances where we would either be working out in the yard, cleaning the house, or running errands a grown up would deem it an appropriate time to teach me a little trick that they learned or “something to always remember”. Back then I had the attention span of a fly. It seemed that no matter what they were trying to teach me it just didn’t matter to me. I was pretty stubborn and selfish and thought I knew enough. The mission changed all that.


It is true that when you move away from home for two years you miss home. It’s a fact. For me, I do more than just long to be home, I yearn to make up for chances I’ve missed out on. We all have so much to learn from those who have seriously “already been there” and “done that”. I started to look forward to the days that I will be able to spend with my Dad, working out in the yard. He was teaching me more than just “how to work hard”. I’ll spend more time with my Mom, in the kitchen, learning how to make my own dinner rather than pull it out of a microwave.


The one thing that I absolutely cannot wait for is to get to know them. Really pay attention to their life story. Find the similarities that are there and being able to understand one another. We have so much to learn from our parents and grandparents, focusing more on their testimonies and spiritual experiences. I know I already have a good relationship with my parents and grandparents but there is room for major growth. The relationship I have with them can become more impacting. That is not to mean impacting my life alone but also their lives forever. I am grateful for families and more specifically grateful my mission taught me the importance of families.

2 comments:

  1. WOW!! I love this blog Erwin, reminds me of my family and how much they mean to me! Gosh it's incredible how much being on a mission changes how you look at everything, pretty crazy huh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Blog Elder!!! You are an artist! Beautiful! Hope someday I can meet you.

    ReplyDelete