Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A "Change" Of Plans


Just in case any of you were wondering, I made it to Victor unharmed and with all my luggage. Let me explain how transfers work in the mission field. Each designated area around the world has a mission President who has juristiction over that area. He is called upon to recieve revelation for the missionaries that he watches over. When a transfer starts to come to a close (transfer = 1 1/2 months - 6 weeks) the mission president gets together with his assistants (who are also fellow missionaries) and starts the process of changing around missionaries to be with different companions and possibly in different surrounding areas. When this happens they make some changes on a giant board that has all of our pictures on it and who we are currently with. After those changes are considered they kneel in prayer and ask the Lord if it be right. (Also note that during this time they have been fasting - going without meals, to be more focused on spiritual matters rather than physical and showing a sacrifice for an increase of spiritual promptings.) So for about a week (the last week of the current transfer) they do this.

The time had come when we recieved phone calls that Sunday night of who and where. I was told that I would be going to Victor with a certain missionary that was not doing so well. I was chosen to be the one to "cheer him up" in a sense. I was not to fond of the assignment and to be completly honest a little angry. I was able to talk to one of the assistants and he explained to me that he knew it was a calling from the Lord.

As I pondered over this through the night and into the morning I began to realize that maybe, just maybe this was a test from the Lord, to use my talents and abilities that would help this elder out. I became content and through prayer and contemplation was reassured that I could do it. This lasted throughout the rest of my preperation day (Monday) and into Tuesday morning, right before transfers. I had been reading over my patriachral blessing which was a great comfort to me to see what God knew I was capable of.

In the middle of reading the phone rang. It was the assistant I had talked to the previous day. He told me I would still be serving in Victor but that my companion would not be who I was told it would be. Later, as I arrived at the chapel where we were to meet for a transfer meeting my mission president, President Christianson, pulled me aside and explained that he was grateful that I accepted the responsibility that WAS going to be mine, but because of that additude he and the Lord knew I would do anything asked of me. "And that was enough." Because they both could tell that they could trust me with whatever assignment that was given me is why my president was prompted in the middle of the night to make some changes.

This will always be an experience that I will cherish forever, seeing that the Lord does certain things to just see how we will react. He saw that I had subjected to all things and that is what He needed to know. Wow... what an increase of testimony on the power of inspiration and revelation! He truly does know all and has a plan for each of us, even in the most smallest of settings. This is the Lord's work and gospel. It is true. Now I need to follow the Lord's call for me to be here with my new companion Elder Campbell and do what we were sent here to do. And so, the gospel goes forth.

No comments:

Post a Comment